Official Contest Rules for the HAWAII GAS PRESENTS LOCALICIOUS® RECIPE CONTEST
No purchase or payment of any kind is necessary to enter or win this contest. A purchase will not improve chances of winning.
You have not yet won.
OPEN ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF HAWAII WHO ARE IN GRADES 4-12 AS OF THE DATE OF ENTRY WITH THE PERMISSION OF A PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN OF A CHILD BETWEEN GRADES 4-12 THAT IS ALSO A LEGAL RESIDENT OF HAWAII.
By entering the “Hawaii Gas Presents Localicious® Recipe Contest” (the “Promotion”), entrants accept and agree to be bound by these Official Rules. Any violation of these rules may, at the Sponsor’s (“Hawaii Food & Wine Festival” or “HFWF”) discretion, result in disqualification. All decisions of the judges regarding this Promotion are final and binding in all respects.
- PROMOTION PERIOD. Promotion begins 12:01 A.M. HST 8/21/23 and ends 11:59 P.M. HST 9/22/23(“PROMOTION PERIOD”). All entries must be received by the end of the Promotion Period.
- ELIGIBILITY. The Promotion is only open to legal residents of Hawaii who are in grades 4-12 as of the date of entry with the permission of a parent or legal guardian of a child between grades 4-12 that is also a legal resident of Hawaii. The judges, and officers, directors, members, and employees of the HFWF, and the immediate family (i.e., parents, children, siblings, spouse), and persons residing in the same household as such individuals, are not eligible. This Promotion is void outside Hawaii and where otherwise prohibited.
- HOW TO ENTER. There are two ways to enter:
- Visit https:/hawaiifoodandwinefestival.com/hawaii-gas-presents-localicious-recipe-contest-2023 and follow the instructions to complete online entry form and submit photo via Formstack.
- Download the submission form and mail to:
Hawaii Food & Wine Festival
Localicious Recipe Contest
3538 Waialae Ave. #202
Honolulu, HI 96816
- ENTRY FORM
- FINALISTS NOTIFICATION
The declared finalists will be notified of their selection as a finalist no later than October 5, 2023. Declaration of Eligibility and a Liability/Publicity Release (the “Finalist Documents”) must be signed prior to being declared a Finalist. If a Potential Finalist fails or refuses to sign and return all Finalist Documents within three (3) days of notification (or a shorter time if required by exigencies), the Potential Finalist may be disqualified and an alternate Potential Finalist may be selected. In the event a Potential Finalist is a Minor, his/her Finalist Documents must be signed by his/her parent/legal guardian on his/her behalf. Sponsor shall have no liability for any Finalist notification that is lost, intercepted or not received by a Potential Finalist for any reason. If any Potential Finalist does not respond within the time required by Sponsor, or if the Potential Finalist notification is returned as unclaimed or undeliverable to any Potential Finalist, such Potential Finalist will forfeit his or her Finalist status and an alternate Potential Finalist may be selected. If any Potential Finalist is found to be ineligible, or if he or she has not complied with these Official Rules or declines his/her status as a Potential Finalist for any reason, such Potential Finalist will be disqualified and his/her status as a Potential Finalist may be given to the next highest scoring Submission. Once the finalist is notified and accepts, each finalist will receive a $50 gift card to purchase ingredients to demonstrate the recipe at the Hawaii Gas Presents Localicious® Recipe Contest cook off event on October 29, 2023.
- FINALISTS & WINNERS SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION. There will be two rounds of judging. A Hawaii Food & Wine Festival chef will conduct a preliminary round to select the top three recipe submissions in each age category. On Sunday, October 29, 2023, at the Hawaii Gas Presents Localicious® Recipe Contest cook off event in Honolulu, three judges will conduct the second round of judging, which includes finalists preparing and presenting their dishes live for tasting and judging. In the initial round, the submissions will be reviewed and based on the following criteria: healthy nutritional value of the recipe; perceived taste; creativity and originality; affordability; the story behind your recipe and execution of dish presented in the photo. Additional points will be awarded for use of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and/or lean proteins. Up to three (3) entries from each age category with the highest overall scores will be declared finalists.Finalists will receive a $50 gift card to purchase the ingredients necessary for their recipe to be prepared live at the Hawaii Gas Presents Localicious® Recipe Contest Cookoff event on Sunday, October 29, 2023 at Bishop Museum. Neighbor island (non-Oahu resident) finalists will be provided round trip coach airfare tickets between Oahu and the neighbor island and a one-night stay at an Oahu hotel will be provided for the finalist and one (1) parent/guardian. The panel of judges will score finalists’ submissions based on the same criteria set forth above and will also include execution, taste, plating and overall presentation of the dish. One entry from each category with the highest overall score will be declared the first-place winner and thereby the Hawaii Gas Presents Localicious® Recipe Contest winner. In the event of a tie, the entry with the higher score in the nutrition criteria will prevail. Prizes may also be awarded for second and third place.
Winners will be announced on Sunday, October 29, 2023 at the Hawaii Gas Presents Localicious® Recipe Contest Cookoff event.
- PRIZE DESCRIPTION. There will be two (2) Hawaii Gas Presents Localicious® Recipe Contest winners, one in each grade level category, with the exception of an insufficient number of eligible entries that met a minimum threshold of quality. HFWF reserves the right to declare no winner and thereby not award any prize for such age category. The first-place prize for Grades 9-12 is a $300 cash scholarship, the second-place prize is a $200 cash scholarship, and the third-place prize is a $100 cash scholarship. The first-place prize for Grades 4-8 is a $150 cash gift card, the second-place prize is a $100 cash gift card, and the third-place prize is a $50 cash gift card.
- TAXES. All federal, state and/or local income and other taxes, if any, are the winner’s sole responsibility.
- OWNERSHIP AND LICENSE. All entry materials, videos, photographs and recipes become the property of the HFWF and will not be acknowledged or returned. The copyright in any Submission shall remain the property of the entrant, but entry into this Promotion constitutes entrant’s irrevocable and perpetual permission and consent, without further compensation, with or without attribution, to use, reproduce, print, publish, transmit, distribute, sell, perform, adapt, enhance, or display such Submission, and the entrant’s name and/or likeness, for any purpose, including but not limited to the creation of an electronic book that includes recipes and other materials submitted by entrants along with editorial, advertising, trade, commercial, and publicity purposes by the HFWF and/or others authorized by the HFWF, in any and all media now in existence or hereinafter created, throughout the world, for the duration or the copyright in the Submission. HFWF and/or others authorized by the HFWF shall have the right to edit, adapt, and modify the Submission.
- NO PRIZE TRANSFER OR SUBSTITUTION. No prize or any portion thereof is transferable or redeemable for cash. Any portion of the prize that is not used is forfeited. No substitutions for prize except by HFWF, in which case a prize of equal or greater value will be substituted.
- CONSENT AND RELEASE. By entering the Promotion, each entrant’s guardian on their own behalf and behalf of their children, and their heirs, executors, successors, and assigns, release and discharge the HFWFs, judging organization(s), prize provider(s), and any other party associated with the development or administration of this Promotion, their parent, subsidiary, and affiliated entities, and each of their respective officers, directors, members, shareholders, employees, independent contractors, licensees, insurers, agents, representatives, successors and assigns (collectively, “HFWF Entities”), from any and all liability, injuries, losses, damages, claims, demands, actions, costs and expenses of any nature (including without limitation personal injuries, death, damage to, loss or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation, or portrayal in a false light) in connection with this Promotion or my acceptance and use of the prize, including but not limited to any travel, accommodations, food, products, and activities that may be associated with the prize (collectively, “Claims”). Except where prohibited: (i) entry into the Promotion constitutes the consent of each entrant, without further compensation, to use his/her name, likeness, biographical data, contact information (taken from any source including photographs and videos taken at Promotion-related events) and his/her Submission for any purpose related to the Promotion, including but not limited to the creation of an electronic book that includes recipes and other materials submitted by entrants along with editorial, advertising, marketing, publicity, and administrative purposes by the HFWF and/or others authorized by the HFWF; and (ii) acceptance of a prize constitutes a release by any winner of the HFWF Entities of any and all Claims in connection with the administration of this Promotion and the use, misuse, or possession of his/her Submission or any prize. If a winner is deemed to be a minor under the jurisdiction of his/her residence, the prize will be awarded in the name of his/her parent or legal guardian.
- DISCLAIMERS. (i) HFWF is not responsible for entries that are lost, late, misdirected, incorrect, garbled, or incompletely received, for any reason, including by reason of hardware, software, browser, or network failure, malfunction, congestion, or incompatibility at HFWF’s servers or elsewhere. In the event of a dispute, entries will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an Internet Access Provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational institute) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. (ii) HFWF, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person tampering with the entry process or the operation of the web site or otherwise attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Promotion. Use of bots or other automated processes to enter is prohibited and may result in disqualification at the sole discretion of HFWF. (iii) HFWF further reserves the right to cancel, terminate or modify the Promotion if it is not capable of completion as planned, including by reason of infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, force majeure or technical failures of any sort. (iv) HFWF Entities are not responsible for errors in the administration or fulfillment of this Promotion, including without limitation mechanical, human, printing, distribution or production errors, and may cancel, terminate or modify this Promotion based upon such error at its sole discretion without liability. In no event will HFWF be responsible for awarding more than the number of prizes specified in these rules. (v) In the event this Promotion is cancelled or terminated, pursuant to subparagraph (iii) or (iv), HFWF, in its sole discretion, may elect to select a winner from among all eligible entries received up to the date of discontinuance for any or all of the prizes offered herein. (vi) HFWF ENTITIES MAKE NO WARRANTIES, REPRESENTATIONS OR GUARANTEES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN FACT OR IN LAW, AS REGARDS THIS PROMOTION OR THE MERCHANTABILITY, QUALITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE REGARDING ANY PRIZE OR ANY COMPONENT OF ANY PRIZE. (vii) CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE THE WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS PROMOTION MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND/OR CIVIL LAWS, AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, HFWF RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK REMEDIES AND DAMAGES (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ATTORNEYS’ FEES) FROM ANY SUCH ENTRANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION. (viii) The value(s) of the prize(s) set forth above represent HFWF’s good faith determination of the approximate retail value(s) thereof; the actual fair market value(s) as ultimately determined by HFWF are final and binding and cannot be challenged or appealed. In the event the stated approximate retail value(s) of a prize is more than the actual fair market value of that prize, the difference will not be awarded in cash or otherwise. No substitution or compensation will be given for any portion of the prize that is not used.
- WINNER LIST. Winners will be posted on the Hawaii Food & Wine Festival website and Hawaii Agricultural Foundation website following the Hawaii Gas Presents Localicious® Recipe Contest Cookoff event.
- PARTICIPATING ENTITIES. This Promotion is administered by Hawaii Food & Wine Festival, 3538 Waialae Ave., #202, Honolulu, HI 96816.
Hawaii Food & Wine Festival recognizes the use of diacritical markings in the modern orthography of Hawaiian language including the ‘okina [‘] or glottal stop, and the kahakō [ā] or macron. However, in order to ensure the best online experience visitors to our website, these markings may be omitted throughout our site. We thank you for your understanding.