TENTH ANNUAL - SAVE THE DATE – OCTOBER 2-25, 2020日本語
Chef Greg Denton was born in Schenectady, New York and raised in Rutland, Vermont. He knew he wanted to be a chef from age four and started working in kitchens at age nine. Chef Gabrielle Denton’s passion for food developed at a young age as well, during summers spent in her grandmother’s kitchen in the Andean highlands of Ecuador.
Both Greg and Gabrielle graduated from culinary school with honors, Greg in 1996 from The Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York and Gabrielle in 1999 from the California Culinary Academy in San Francisco.
Together, the two chefs opened the Argentine-inspired Ox Restaurant in April of 2012, and their new Parisian-style French bistro, called Bistro Agnes, in January of 2018 in Portland, Oregon. Bistro Agnes was recognized as 2018 Oregonian’s Top Ten Best New Restaurants. The Denton’s also released their debut cookbook, Around the Fire, in March 2016 to critical acclaim.
Ox Restaurant serves Argentine-inspired Portland food. Ox and the Denton’s have received the following recognition:
– Top 50 Best New Restaurants by Bon Appétit Magazine
– 2012 Portland Restaurant of the Year Award by Eater.com
– 2013 The Oregonian’s Restaurant of the Year
– 2013 semi-finalists James Beard Foundation: Best Chef Northwest, and Best New Restaurant in America
– 2013, 2014 semi-finalists James Beard Foundation: Best Chef Northwest
– 2014 Food & Wine Magazine’s Best New Chefs
– Winner of Esquire Channel’s Knife Fight 2014, Battle Eel, Greg Denton vs. Jason Wilson
– 2015, 2016 finalists James Beard Foundation: Best Chef Northwest
– 2017 winners James Beard Foundation: Best Chef Northwest
WHY DID YOU BECOME A CHEF?
In my family, cooking is a way to show care for those you love, so the kitchen has always been a happy place for me. I enjoy creating good food and warm hospitality for friends and strangers, alike.
HOW DO YOU DESCRIBE YOUR COOKING IN THREE WORDS?
Rustic, bold, zesty.
WHAT’S THE BEST HONOR YOU’VE RECEIVED AS A CHEF?
James Beard Award: Best Chef Northwest 2017.
WHAT IS YOUR GO-TO MEAL AFTER A BUSY DAY?
Avocado and fresh mozzarella soft tacos with cilantro, tomato, fresh chilis and lime.
HOW DO YOU SPEND YOUR TIME WHEN YOU’RE NOT IN THE KITCHEN?
Playing with my three dogs.
WHAT THE ONE LOCAL INGREDIENT YOU’RE EXCITED TO COOK WITH DURING HFWF19?
Last time we were on O’ahu for HFWF, I tasted the best mangos I’d ever eaten. I hope to get to incorporate them into our dish this time around.
HAVE YOU BEEN TO HAWAII BEFORE? WHAT ARE YOU MOST LOOKING FORWARD TO DURING YOUR VISIT?
Yes, we lived in Lahaina, Maui for five years. We look forward to the relaxation of the salty water of the Pacific Ocean.
IF YOU WERE NOT A CHEF, WHAT WOULD YOU BE AND WHY?
I would be a dog whisperer.