Official Contest Rules for the HAWAII GAS PRESENTS LOCALICIOUS® RECIPE & VIDEO CONTEST
No purchase or payment of any kind is necessary to enter or win this contest. A purchase will not improve chances of winning.
You have not yet won.
OPEN ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF HAWAII WHO ARE IN GRADES 4-12 AS OF THE DATE OF ENTRY AND THE PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN OF A CHILD BETWEEN GRADES 4-12 THAT IS ALSO A LEGAL RESIDENT OF HAWAII.
By entering the “Hawaii Gas Presents Localicious® Recipe & Video Contest” (the “Promotion”), entrants accept and agree to be bound by these Official Rules. Any violation of these rules may, at the Sponsor’s (“Hawaii Food & Wine Festival” or “HFWF”) discretion, result in disqualification. All decisions of the judges regarding this Promotion are final and binding in all respects.
1. PROMOTION PERIOD. Promotion begins 2:00 PM HST 8/24/2020 and ends 11:59 PM HST 9/21/2020 (“PROMOTION PERIOD”). Email entries must be received by the end of the Promotion Period. Mail in entries must be postmarked by the end of the Promotion Period and received no later than four (4) days later.
2. ELIGIBILITY. The Promotion is only open to legal residents of Hawaii who are in grades 4-12 as of the date of entry and the parent or legal guardian of a child between grades 4-12 that is also a legal resident of Hawaii. The judges, and officers, directors, members, and employees of the HFWF, and the immediate family (i.e., parents, children, siblings, spouse), and persons residing in the same household as such individuals, are not eligible. This Promotion is void outside Hawaii and where otherwise prohibited.
3. HOW TO ENTER. There are two ways to enter: 1) Visit www.hawaiifoodandwinefestival.com/recipecontest and follow the instructions to complete and email the entry form to firstname.lastname@example.org or 2) Print out from the website or otherwise obtain a paper version of the official entry form, and mail it to Hawaii Food & Wine Festival, Hawaii Gas Presents Localicious® Recipe & Video Contest, 3538 Waialae Ave., #202, Honolulu, HI 96816.
Regardless of your method of entry, you must include: (a) the title of a recipe; incorporating and featuring at least one fresh locally-grown, caught or raised ingredient, (b) brief description giving some details about the recipe (e.g., how did you come up with it? What is your inspiration?), (c) ingredient list with ingredients in exact common U.S. household measurements in order of use (all ingredients must be commonly available at local retailers and not exceed ten ingredients), (d) step-by-step preparation instructions, including cooking times, (e) the number of servings the recipe will make and (f) a photograph of the completed dish. All text, photographs, images, illustrations, drawings, and other content and materials submitted by entrants, including without limitation, the items described in subsections (a) – (f) above, shall be referred to hereafter as the “Submission”.
4. FINALIST SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION. There will be two rounds of judging. A chef(s) affiliated with the Hawaii Food & Wine Festival will conduct a preliminary round selecting the top three recipe submissions in each of the two categories. In the initial round, judges will review and score all Submissions based on the following criteria: 50% healthy nutritional value of the recipe; 25% perceived taste; 15% creativity and originality; 5% affordability and 5% the story behind your recipe. Up to three (3) entries from each age category with the highest overall scores will be declared finalists.
The declared finalists will be notified of their selection as a finalist no later than October 1, 2020. Declaration of Eligibility and a Liability/Publicity Release (the “Finalist Documents”) prior to being declared a Finalist. If a Potential Finalist fails or refuses to sign and return all Finalist Documents within three (3) days of notification (or a shorter time if required by exigencies), the Potential Finalist may be disqualified and an alternate Potential Finalist may be selected. In the event a Potential Finalist is a Minor, his/her Finalist Documents must be signed by his/her parent/legal guardian on his/her behalf. Sponsor shall have no liability for any Finalist notification that is lost, intercepted or not received by a Potential Finalist for any reason. If any Potential Finalist does not respond within the time required by Sponsor, or if the Potential Finalist notification is returned as unclaimed or undeliverable to any Potential Finalist, such Potential Finalist will forfeit his or her Finalist status and an alternate Potential Finalist may be selected. If any Potential Finalist is found to be ineligible, or if he or she has not complied with these Official Rules or declines his/her status as a Potential Finalist for any reason, such Potential Finalist will be disqualified and his/her status as a Potential Finalist may be given to the next highest scoring Submission. Once the finalist is notified and accepts, each finalist will receive a $50 gift card to purchase ingredients to demonstrate and video record the recipe. All videos must be edited to 3-4 minutes and submitted by October 15, 2020 to the platform as designated by HFWF.
5. FINALIST VIDEO SUBMISSION. Each Video entered into the Contest must meet the following “Video Submission Requirements” (any video that, in Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion, violates the following criteria will be disqualified): (a) the video must be no shorter than two (2) minutes and no longer than four (4) minutes in length; (b) the video must be the submitting entrant’s original, previously unpublished work in the case of Individual Entrants and the original, unpublished work of the person(s) who created the video in the case of School Entrants, and must not infringe a third party’s copyright or trademarks, privacy, or other intellectual property rights; (c) the entrant should be able to provide on request all appropriate clearances, permissions and releases for the Submission, including location releases for all recognizable locations and releases from all identifiable individuals appearing in the video (in the event an entrant cannot provide all required releases, Sponsor reserves the right, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, to disqualify the applicable Submission, or seek to secure the releases and clearances for Sponsor’s benefit, or allow the applicable Submission to remain in Contest); (d) the Submission must NOT contain material which is (or promotes activities which are) sexually explicit, obscene, pornographic, violent (e.g., relating to murder, the sales or use of weapons, cruelty, abuse, etc.), discriminatory (based on race, sex, religion, natural origin, physical disability, sexual orientation or age), illegal (e.g. underage drinking, substance abuse, computer hacking, etc.), offensive, threatening, profane, or harassing or which is otherwise inappropriate, in the sole discretion of the Sponsor, nor may Submission contain any derogatory references to any Promotion Entity or any other person or entity including brands or trademarks of any Promotion Entity or any other person or entity; and (e) the Submission must be uploaded in one of the following file formats: .mov, .mp4, .wmv, or .avi. (f) the Submission must be uploaded to the HFWF platform by the Entry Period deadline in order to be considered. No late entries will be accepted. (g) any Submission that does not meet the above criteria for any reason, may be resubmitted as long as it is resubmitted before the Entry Period deadline.
6. PUBLIC VIEWING PERIOD AND PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARD SELECTION: Once the Submission is uploaded to the HFWF platform and approved by Sponsor or its designee, it will be made available for viewing on the HFWF platform. The public will be invited to view all of the Submissions and may vote for his/her favorite Submission(s). At the end of the Public Viewing Period (October 22 – October 30, 2020), assuming a sufficient number of eligible Submissions are received, the total number of “likes” will be tallied and the Overall People’s Choice Award winner will be determined.
7. WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION. Three (3) celebrity chef judges will conduct the final round of judging based on the following criteria: 50% recipe creativity, which includes naming, ingredients, use of locally sourced ingredients and presentation of the dish and 50% cooking demonstration, which includes video presentation, explanations, techniques and audience engagement.
All Winners will be announced at a live virtual event on Saturday, October 31, 2020. Contestants must be present to win.
8. PRIZE DESCRIPTION. There will be two (2) first-place winners, two (2) second-place winners and two (2) third-place winners, one in each grade level category with the exception that in the event an insufficient number of eligible entries that met a minimum threshold of quality, in HFWF’s sole reasonable discretion, are received from one or both categories, HFWF reserves the right to declare no winner and thereby not award any prize for such age category. In the event of a tie in either category, both participants will win the award of that level. The first-place prize for Grades 4-8 is a video production kit, chef plating kit and a hydroponic herb kit, the approximate retail value of the first-place prize package is $300 USD. The second-place prize is a chef plating kit and hydroponic herb kit, the approximate retail value of the second-place prize package is $200 USD. The third-place prize is a hydroponic herb kit, the approximate retail value of the third-place prize package is $100 USD. The first-place prize for Grades 9-12 is a $300 cash scholarship, the second-place prize is a $200 cash scholarship and the third-place prize is a $100 scholarship. All winners will receive their prizes via mail.
9. TAXES. All federal, state and/or local income and other taxes, if any, are the winner’s sole responsibility.
10. OWNERSHIP AND LICENSE. All entry materials, videos, photographs and recipes become the property of the HFWF and will not be acknowledged or returned. The copyright in any Submission shall remain the property of the entrant, but entry into this Promotion constitutes entrant’s irrevocable and perpetual permission and consent, without further compensation, with or without attribution, to use, reproduce, print, publish, transmit, distribute, sell, perform, adapt, enhance, or display such Submission, and the entrant’s name and/or likeness, for any purpose, including but not limited to the creation of an electronic book that includes recipes and other materials submitted by entrants along with editorial, advertising, trade, commercial, and publicity purposes by the HFWF and/or others authorized by the HFWF, in any and all media now in existence or hereinafter created, throughout the world, for the duration or the copyright in the Submission. HFWF and/or others authorized by the HFWF shall have the right to edit, adapt, and modify the Submission.
11. NO PRIZE TRANSFER OR SUBSTITUTION. No prize or any portion thereof is transferable or redeemable for cash. Any portion of the prize that is not used is forfeited. No substitutions for prize except by HFWF, in which case a prize of equal or greater value will be substituted.
12. CONSENT AND RELEASE. By entering the Promotion, each entrant’s guardian on their own behalf and behalf of their children, and their heirs, executors, successors, and assigns, release and discharge the HFWFs, judging organization(s), prize provider(s), and any other party associated with the development or administration of this Promotion, their parent, subsidiary, and affiliated entities, and each of their respective officers, directors, members, shareholders, employees, independent contractors, licensees, insurers, agents, representatives, successors and assigns (collectively, “HFWF Entities”), from any and all liability, injuries, losses, damages, claims, demands, actions, costs and expenses of any nature (including without limitation personal injuries, death, damage to, loss or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation, or portrayal in a false light) in connection with this Promotion or my acceptance and use of the prize, including but not limited to any travel, accommodations, food, products, and activities that may be associated with the prize (collectively, “Claims”). Except where prohibited: (i) entry into the Promotion constitutes the consent of each entrant, without further compensation, to use his/her name, likeness, biographical data, contact information (taken from any source including photographs and videos taken at Promotion-related events) and his/her Submission for any purpose related to the Promotion, including but not limited to the creation of an electronic book that includes recipes and other materials submitted by entrants along with editorial, advertising, marketing, publicity, and administrative purposes by the HFWF and/or others authorized by the HFWF; and (ii) acceptance of a prize constitutes a release by any winner of the HFWF Entities of any and all Claims in connection with the administration of this Promotion and the use, misuse, or possession of his/her Submission or any prize. If a winner is deemed to be a minor under the jurisdiction of his/her residence, the prize will be awarded in the name of his/her parent or legal guardian.
13. DISCLAIMERS. (i) HFWF is not responsible for entries that are lost, late, misdirected, incorrect, garbled, or incompletely received, for any reason, including by reason of hardware, software, browser, or network failure, malfunction, congestion, or incompatibility at HFWF’s servers or elsewhere. In the event of a dispute, entries will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet Access Provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational institute) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. (ii) HFWF, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person tampering with the entry process or the operation of the web site or otherwise attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Promotion. Use of bots or other automated process to enter is prohibited and may result in disqualification at the sole discretion of HFWF. (iii) HFWF further reserves the right to cancel, terminate or modify the Promotion if it is not capable of completion as planned, including by reason of infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, force majeure or technical failures of any sort. (iv) HFWF Entities are not responsible for errors in the administration or fulfillment of this Promotion, including without limitation mechanical, human, printing, distribution or production errors, and may cancel, terminate or modify this Promotion based upon such error at its sole discretion without liability. In no event will HFWF be responsible for awarding more than the number of prizes specified in these rules. (v) In the event this Promotion is cancelled or terminated, pursuant to subparagraph (iii) or (iv), HFWF, in its sole discretion, may elect to select a winner from among all eligible entries received up to the date of discontinuance for any or all of the prizes offered herein. (vi) HFWF ENTITIES MAKE NO WARRANTIES, REPRESENTATIONS OR GUARANTEES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN FACT OR IN LAW, AS REGARDS THIS PROMOTION OR THE MERCHANTABILITY, QUALITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE REGARDING ANY PRIZE OR ANY COMPONENT OF ANY PRIZE. (vii) CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE THE WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS PROMOTION MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND/OR CIVIL LAWS, AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, HFWF RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK REMEDIES AND DAMAGES (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ATTORNEYS’ FEES) FROM ANY SUCH ENTRANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION. (viii) The value(s) of the prize(s) set forth above represent HFWF’s good faith determination of the approximate retail value(s) thereof; the actual fair market value(s) as ultimately determined by HFWF are final and binding and cannot be challenged or appealed. In the event the stated approximate retail value(s) of a prize is more than the actual fair market value of that prize, the difference will not be awarded in cash or otherwise. No substitution or compensation will be given for any portion of the prize that is not used.
14. WINNER LIST. Winners will be posted on the Hawaii Food & Wine Festival website and Hawaii Agricultural Foundation website and social media platforms following the Hawaii Gas Presents Localicious® Recipe & Video Contest.
15. PARTICIPATING ENTITIES. This Promotion is administered by Hawaii Food & Wine Festival, 3538 Waialae Ave., #202, Honolulu, HI 96816.